Thursday, June 18, 2009

Preparing for Monet

When I return from vacation the new exhibit will be at the Museum. While there are many more artists in this exhibit, Monet is the first of the artists from this exhibit that I have a class about.

In preparation for some of the classes revolving around this exhibit, I checked out some books from the library to share with my boys as well as the class.

I think some of Monet's most recognized work would probably be any of the water lily series. The last years of his life, Monet rarely left home and only painted scenes from his garden and his lily pond. I am so excited to share his work with my children. I wrote several papers discussing Monet and the water lily series in college after seeing an exhibit (Monet at Giverny:Masterpieces from the Musee Marmottan) at the Albright-Knox in Buffalo many years ago. I am moved by his work and seeing it in person is overwhelming and extremely moving.

Here are some of the Monet books I am going to have laid out for the kids.

I have many of the Metropolitan Museum of Art books for my boys and they are really good books if you have not seen this series before. While most of these books are not necessarily aged for my classes the kids can certainly look at the pictures and talk about what they see. I sometimes think people do not give credit to kids for what they can accomplish and understand.

Stay tuned for the wonderful artwork we are going to create!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just noticed on netflix the other day, Linnea in Monet's garden has been made into a film and is on the instant play feature over there. I love how you incorporate all the books into your lessons!

Hope Chella said...

Thanks for posting these lessons and the books you use! I am a sucker for buying children's books to go along with my elementary art students lessons! Great blog =)