Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Local

Last night I attended a wonderful event for Teaching Artists at the Arts Council. Oklahoma City has so much offered to artists right now. It was part one of a four part series by the Arts Council of Oklahoma City and City Arts Center. Last night I gathered with Art Education and Program Directors, Educators, Artists and more. There was some super creative energy flowing through as we listened to 3 speakers talk about Curriculum Planning.

I learned quite a bit, but more importantly I networked. I sat next to friends, one an artist-he talked about getting himself psyched up for this year, getting things done and being on the verge of an explosion. It's how I feel. This is my year. I have had so many wonderful opportunities offered to me this past year I am only building on it this year.

I mentioned sort of cryptically a while ago that I am working on something. I am not quite ready to purge the specifics, but I am committing myself to my artwork and more as I continue my search for studio space/small building in OKC. I am promising myself to paint more, volunteer more, share art with more children, network more and push myself further than I have gone in the past. I am happy I have the support of my family and of course my friends. One friend has really made me believe in myself-even if she doesn't know it-I owe a lot of my break out attitude to her. You know who you are. :)

Okay, other excitement is Jason Peters at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. I CANNOT WAIT to attend the members preview and lecture on the 27th. His work is really exciting. I don't believe anything quite like this has ever been in OKC. I took this pic the other day after one of my classes, he did a small installation outside the Museum Gift Shop. This picture doesn't do it justice. It's actually lit from the inside. Way different. Way cool.
Photobucket

It's hard to tell, those are buckets-suspended from the ceiling. They wrap and twist like a serpent. Love it. He has been working for a few weeks or so with OU students on filling our exhibition space with more extraordinary works.

I am wrapping up my painted acoustic guitar for the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum and it's pretty darn cool if I do say so myself! Thursday after my class at the Museum I am headed over to OVAC office to help with some mailings. As part of my networking 2010 pledge I am joining two other arts related Organizations this week, The Paseo Arts Association and IAO (actually trying to get 2 pieces finished for Money talks, Art Walks in Feb.)

I will post fun pictures from my snowman class after Thurday! I am really looking forward to it. As much as I am dedicating myself to my work, I am dedicating myself to children and the arts as well.

Have a Creative Day!

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Erin, I know you can do anything you set your mind to! You are one of the most creative people I know,and you work so well with kids especially. I look forward to more collaborative projects in the future!