Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Magic Lines

I did a fun toddler class on lines this past week. We read, When a line bends...a shape begins.

I also had these other fun books on hand for kids to look at if they finished early.


When we "lined up" to walk to the gallery we found lines from the second we left the classroom-circles on carpet, lines making squares in the hallway, hanging rectangle posters, lines are all around us and they bend into many shapes. You would be surprised how into it these little kids get. They are ages 15 months-3 years old and I don't think sometimes they get the credit they deserve. They are SMART. and they were finding lines everywhere! In the elevator and then in the gallery. We found lines all around us.

We sat down in front of and talked about the kinds of lines in the paintings. We moved our arms up and down, side to side, zig-zag-they love that word by the way, and moving our arms in circles. One girl shouts, circle on floor! Everyone investigates. We are professional line finders.

In the class we put tape on our tag board. The parents had the job as tape tearers. The kids put the tape down.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we used a primary paint palette plus white and got busy!

Photobucket

Now the fun part is taking off the tape to reveal our cool lines! So much fun! It is easiest to try to remove the tape before the paint dries to avoid tearing.

Photobucket

-paper (we used tagboard)
-masking tape (we used Kraft brand)
-paint
-palette
-brushes

Happy Creating.
p.s. I hope to have better photos from here on out as we got a new camera!

12 comments:

Katie Gonzalez said...

Oooh! I like this idea. We have been doing a lot of tape art in my art room, too! (You can see what we did on my blog.) Tape has become one of our favorite art supplies. I'm going to check out these books, too. Thanks for sharing!

marawolff.com said...

I love this idea. I plan on using this one some day!

Laura said...

I just learned of your blog from the Crafty Crow. As a ceramic artist and mother of a 2.5 yr old I really love your projects! Thanks :D

Anonymous said...

What kind of paper and tape did you use? I used painting tape (blue) on 60 lb painting paper, and the tape completly tore up the paper when we tried to remove it :(

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

I am so sorry! We used KRAFT colored masking tape, but have achieved desired effect with plain masking tape. We used tagboard and it might be easiest to remove tape before paint dries. I will edit original post to reflect such. THANK YOU! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips! I'll try again with masking tape (which I was going to use, but my husband said to use painting tape....). I've never used tagboard before, but located some online. Is it just thick paper?

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Yes, it's thick. Sortof like poster board. I hope it turns out better next time! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I have done similar projects, but instead I cut shapes out of construction paper and taped them to the paper. Instead of just making lines with masking tape, you can make "hidden" shapes using cutouts of construction paper, thin cardboard, or tagboard. But the masking tape is a great idea too, I'm looking forward to trying it!