Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Recycled Gardens

What better way to greet Spring than with a beautiful garden? Look close at the papers and you will see we used cardboard food boxes, straws and lids to create a fun flower filled garden.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We started by talking about what we might find in a garden. Ground, flowers, fences, bugs and more. Then we took a look at our supplies. The children were excited to find cheerios and spongebob boxes. They were surprised we were using these instead of paper.

Photobucket

I admit, I am a craft supply hoarder. I save all our bright colored food boxes. I just fold them up and put them in a file. I also save lids. The straws are actually new, I didn't recycle used straws! I just thought it was a fun element to include.

Now the kids get busy. They created beautiful and thoughtful works!

Photobucket

Photobucket

You will need:
-Cardboard food boxes
-Blue construction paper
-Glue sticks and Elmer's glue
-Scissors
-Straws and lids

Some of the work we created:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

18 comments:

Phyl said...

More "Cerealism"! I love it! I posted about this recently, but if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out pop artist Michael Albert. Your kids will get a kick out of his work, especially finding that a "real" artist uses cereal and candy boxes to create art collages.

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

These are great! I always hate to throw away packages too!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

These look awesome! I'm thinking we need to do some flower crafts around here.

Brimful Curiosities said...

This would be a great Earth Day craft in April!

tana... said...

Very fun and whimsical! The kids create and benefit from all that cutting and gluing skills without even realizing it!

Christie - Fine Lines said...

Your kids did a great job with these flowers!

Laura said...

Awesome! I am excited to do this with my children. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. Cereal box flowers, what a super way of reinventing junk! :)

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Thanks everyone! I hope you enjoy making these as much as we did! :)

Erin

Karen Bosch said...

Thanks for posting this beautiful project! My students enjoyed doing it and we had many complements on the pictures as they lined the hallway!

http://blogs.southfieldchristian.org/pixelsandpaintbrushes/2011/05/30/recycle-flowers/

Jayne Gammons said...

Your trash flowers make me bloomin' happy! Will do with my 2nd graders. Jayne
http://www.abcsofreading.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Love this! Can't wait to do this in my kindergarten class!

Dena said...

Saw this on Pinterest and am excited to use the idea at my Barefoot Books table at our local Farmers' Market this week! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Nice post hope you like my post. The boxes you use are important. To minimize damage, select boxes suitable for your items. Make sure that your boxes are not packed too heavy as they can break open, or too light as they can crush when stacked.
Sell Shipping Boxes

Leslie said...

I love this idea! Did you cut the shapes in advance or have the kids cut them?

Anonymous said...

yay!!! These are stuff that I just have to do at home!😍💕👍😘☺😊

Plantic said...

Plant Fertilizer

Why Not Diy said...

Ooh I love a good title to add to my books-to-read list! WOOH!!! Fantasic job .. Amazing blog
Art and Craft for Kids