Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Audubon Birds

With Spring full steam ahead it's hard not to notice the birds. For a class of children ages 3-5 we focused on birds from the artwork of John James Audubon.

Photobucket

I gathered the kids around to look at works by Audubon. We read a silly bird story, Bird, Bird, Bird!: A Chirping Chant. After that we listened to bird calls from an iPod App. We talked about birds and all of the parts that make up a bird.

Without specific instructions or restraints the children used pencil then marker to draw their own birds.

Photobucket

After that we used watercolors and watercolor pencils to add details.

You will need:
-watercolor paper
-pencil
-marker
-watercolors and brushes
-watercolor pencils

here of some of our works!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

andrea gardiner freeman said...

wonderful. the process is wonderful... looking, listening, reading... creating.

what a great teacher you are.

Holly B. said...

I really like these!!! They are adorable.

Unknown said...

These birds just make me SMILE! I wish I were that uninhibited :)

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Andrea, you are going to make me cry. Thanks. I really try to incorporate as much as I can in a short time.

Holly, thanks!

Mom, my biggest fan! :)

lorel said...

A couple of these paintings remind me of the book "Ish" by Peter Reynolds. They look bird-ish! Love it!

Jeneta said...

Beautiful! I'm going to do this with my little ones at home. Thanks for sharing!