Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Celebrate Earth

I have enjoyed reading all of your artistic art projects that celebrated Earth Day. Here at our house we didn't get around to art projects but we did a huge project in the backyard that I thought I would share with you.

Photobucket

We made garden art. My husband built raised beds and we fenced them to keep our very large digging dog out. My children helped me plant seedlings and seeds. It was a real learning experience for them. They took notes and have been helping us water and weed. I can't wait to see what we grow. It's going to be a learning process for us all.

Photobucket

What did we plant? There are a total of 3 beds. The fenced beds have 6 kinds of lettuce, cabbage, radishes, 2 kinds of carrots, cucumbers, okra, onions, yellow squash, zucchini, several kinds of beans, peas and all sorts of herbs.

Photobucket

The other bed is filled with 6 tomato varieties, strawberries, red, green and yellow bell peppers, jalapenos, peppers, leeks and more onions along with other full sun herbs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A fun book for gardening is Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert. I think we might make some vegetable drawings this week. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

And Kathleen said...

Wow! Those beds look AMAZING.

Lori- funart4kids.blogspot.com said...

You go girl! I am an art teacher who also loves to garden! Please check out my art share site at...
funart4kids.blogspot.com
I hope you can use some of the things you find here.
Lori

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Thanks Kathleen! We might have to make a trade! :)

Lori, I visited and added your blog! Thanks for commenting so I could find it! Love it!

Erin

Anonymous said...

Whaere did he get stakes and fence material? How tall are they and how do you access the area?