Saturday, May 15, 2010

1,2,3 Paint with me

Happy Birthday Jasper Johns!

One of the most important American artists of this century, we celebrate you today! This morning at the OKCMOA a great group of kids ages 3-5 joined me for an exciting artistic journey through paint and collage to celebrate Jasper Johns.

To begin I shared a little bit about Johns and we looked at examples from a few books. We created our own version of his numbers series and they turned out FANTASTIC.

Photobucket

We began at our first workstation. I had 11x14 paper set out along with newspaper scraps, glue sticks, paintbrushes, q-tips and paint palette.

Photobucket

To give us texture like Jasper Johns we used newspaper scraps. Rub your glue stick on your paper and apply newspaper randomly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we used our cool color palette and covered our paper.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We moved to a second workstation to paint our numbers. I precut the numbers 1, 2 and 3 and laid them out on newspaper. Here we used warm paint palette plus white and used paint brushes and q-tips.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we glued our numbers on top to finish our masterpiece! While our pieces were drying we gathered beneath the glow of a Chihuly chandelier to read Chicka Chicka 123 by Lois Ehlert. It is a wonderful book all about numbers. We visited the galleries and returned to the class to pick clean our workspace and collect our artwork.

Close up of the newspaper under the paint.

Photobucket


You will need:
-11x14 student grade watercolor paper
-newspaper scraps plus newspaper to catch mess
-scrap white paper pre-cut into numbers
-green, blue, red, yellow, orange and white tempera paint
-brushes
-q-tips

Here are a few of our finished works!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

Mrs. Hahn said...

Very cool. I like the details of this post and the step by step. I also like the rough look of the product! Very nice.

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

completely awesome project!

Kat said...

Love this! Can't wait to borrow the idea :

andrea gardiner freeman said...

continue to be inspired by your ideas...

yee haw!

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Thanks everyone! When we were making these, it just hit me, "these are so awesome!" It's nice when something really goes the way you want it to!

I hope some of you will give it a try! :)

Anonymous said...

We are going to use this idea to make suns for our VPK graduation invites!!
Thank you. What kind of paint did you use. It looks thick.

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Anonymous- Hello and I am so glad you are going to use the idea! I just used Crayola tempera paint. It looks thick because of the newspaper is it painted over. The numbers were done on watercolor paper with temperas as well and I think that adds another layer of thickness. Have fun, let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Phyl said...

These are terrific! Thanks for the detailed instructions. I definitely want to try this next year.

Jess said...

This collage idea would fit perfectly into my art curriculum! I like your blog and the fact that you have a lot of early childhood ideas. I am always interested in those developmental years.

Thanks!
Jessica

Blog: http://theartofeducation.wordpress.com/