Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day Brooches


Happy Mother's Day!

Today my class of kiddos ages 3-5 came in with the favorite men in their lives to make something very special for Mom. We designed a fabric brooch for Mom and pinned it to a hand made card. Very special indeed.

Photobucket

I focused on fabric/textiles and design of this brooch to revolve around the exciting new exhibit at the OKCMOA, Sketch to Screen: The Art of Hollywood Costume Design. This new exhibit has been years in the making and was put together specially by our curators specifically for the OKCMOA. If you are local, I encourage you to come see this unique new exhibit that will be up through the summer. It has something for everyone of all ages.

Photobucket

This took a bit of prep work. I pre-cut all of the pieces. I cut stiff green felt for the backing and several fabrics of different colors and textures in 3 sizes, the largest circle being the size of the green felt.

Photobucket

The kids worked with their dads to assemble their brooch. They made design choices by deciding which fabrics to use and what order to put them in. When they were fully assembled with fabric, the dads used a yarn needle to attach a medium size flower button through all the layers to the top. To the top I hot glued a little sparkling gem to cover the thread and hot glued a bar pin to the back.

Photobucket

Photobucket

When the brooch was finished we worked on a card to pin our brooch to. We used construction paper and crayons to decorate the card. They wrote their messages and pinned on their brooches and we left the class to visit the exhibit. Perfect little gift full of a lot of love!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

For this project you will need:
Brooches:
-Stiff green felt for backing
-fabrics of different colors, textures and sizes.
-flower button
-gem
-needle and DMC thread
-bar bin
-hot glue
-scissors for trimming

For cards:
-construction paper in different colors
-glue stick
-construction paper crayons
-scissors

14 comments:

Kat said...

These are so pretty . . . I'm sure the mamas were very happy to receive them :)

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Thanks Kat! :) I hope the Moms enjoy their creations. I think they really enjoyed the hour the Dads had the kids out of their hair! ;)

Elinor said...

what a lovely Mothers day craft - I bet all the mum's were thrilled to receive these along with their cards. I know when my children have spent lots of time creating me a 'masterpiece' I feel on top of the world. smile...

KJ said...

OOH, love it! This is my first time at your blog, I came from Ramblings of a crazy woman link up.

Michelle said...

These are so pretty!

Julianna said...

Those are fantastic! I'd love for you to link up for Flower Week @ Singing Three Little Birds.http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2010/05/flower-week-linky-party.html

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Helen- thanks! I saw one of the Moms wearing hers today. I guess that means she liked it! :)

KJ- I am so happy you found me! Thanks for commenting!

Thanks Michelle! :)

Hi Julie- off to check it out! Thanks for commenting! :)

Katie from ABC&123: A Learning Cooperative said...

These are gorgeous, we love the sweet and wearable addition to the Mother's Day card! These would also make great birthday cards. What a perfect way to use up scraps.

Julianna said...

I am featuring this project today for Flower Week!

Unknown said...

Hi, there! I just found your blog via Crafty Crow. You have some beautiful ideas! I'm posting this on my "Found It Friday" post tomorrow! :)

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Ms. Jessi, Thank you for the comment. I am really glad you found me. I am off to find you now! :)

Erin :)

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

These are wonderful!

Unknown said...

Erin, I didn't post this last Friday because I've decided to use this as a Mother's Day gift for the mommies at our school! (many of them follow, so I didn't want to ruin the surprise!) I'll be posting it soon, though! :)

Bron said...

Thanks for sharing...my playgroup families will have fun making these together I am sure.