Monday, May 3, 2010

I know my shapes


In this fun class for ages 3-5 we talked about shapes. We read a book and hunted for shapes in the OKCMOA's 3rd floor gallery. We have a lot of great examples of geometric pieces that the children love to explore. I have taken children through a lot of exhibits and all through our permanent collection but the 3rd floor always seems to get them excited.

I think it's because of all of the easily recognized colors, shapes and lines. It connects quickly with them and their shorter attention span. It is immediate happiness as they declare the things they see and know.

Photobucket

First we applied foam shapes and other cutout papers on top of our student grade watercolor paper. If you get the sticker foam, do not use the adhesive or the "magic" will not happen.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This could also be a good project for discussing positive and negative space.

When we had all our shapes on paper we used the spray bottles. For this class I had premixed liquid watercolor and water in small spray bottles. We used red, yellow and blue to spray on our paper. Be sure you use bottles that can "mist". You don't want a hard spray.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After a visit to the galleries we return to take our paper and foam pieces off and see what sort of magic happened.

Photobucket

Cool! Wow!

You will need:
-student grade watercolor paper
-spray bottles that "mist"
-liquid watercolor
-paper or foam cut to shapes

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

8 comments:

andrea gardiner freeman said...

Yee Haw! This project is perfect for this week! Thanks so much. I can't wait to try it.
I care for and teach other friends little ones and this will be a great art/science project!

~andrea

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Have fun Andrea! Thanks for letting me know this is something you'd like to try. I love hearing feedback!

:)Erin

Aimee said...

Erin,

How funny! I was here reading your blog while you were commenting on mine! I wish you and Jean lived closer, we could all get together for play dates (for us, not the kidlets!) I miss the art-school collaborative vibe sometimes, and I envy you, working in the museum! Some day...

-Aimee

Mary said...

These are so much fun! I'm sure the kids had a blast creating them. I'll have to file this one away.
thanks!

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Aimee- I know, wouldn't that be fun?! If you ever come to OKC.... you have a friend! :)

Mary- That's a compliment coming from you! Thanks!

andrea gardiner freeman said...

http://ajourneyofthinksandthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/05/visual-journey-of-week.html


I wanted you to see what we came up with. I was working with a 2,4 and 5 year old!
My background is art... and working with young children. Your blog has been awesome and inspiring!

~andrea

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Andrea, I love it!!! Thanks for sharing!

creativejewishmom.com said...

Saw you on craftycrow....this is a wonderful project, the kids will love it! I think I'll try getting the kids to make patterns with the shapes, and then spraying. Would love for you to drop by my blog and link to something at my weekly linking party! Hope to see you there!