Saturday, July 10, 2010

Paper Costumes

We had a lot of fun today creating paper costumes at the OKCMOA. For Drop-in-art today I had the children design and build costumes using poster board, tissue paper and other items.

First we drew and thought out our designs on paper. We related our pieces to the museum's current exhibition, Sketch to Screen: The Art of Hollywood Costume Design. Oddly, there were a lot of girls today so, we made a lot of dresses and skirts.

The best way to start with the skirts is to cut a length of poster board into a strip. From there you can attach tissue paper easily with a gluestick.

Photobucket

Here you can see a length of poster board cut to waist size and pieces of tissue paper have been added with foam stickers.

Photobucket

We added all sort of other embellishments and even a bodice to the waistband.

Photobucket
Add a bodice but cutting poster board and taping it on both sides to your waistband. You can sort of see on the backside of my example how to attach bodice.

You will need:
-poster board
-tissue paper
-scissors
-tape
-glue sticks
-hot glue (for fast instant hold)
-feather and any other items you wish to attach

Here are a few of our works! The kids loved this and yours will too!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
closeup of rosettes on my class example. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Insightful Brain said...

Those are beautiful and what fun to make!

Laura said...

How wonderful! I love this idea.

Unknown said...

Awfully cute!

Chandra said...

That turned out great! I can't wait to do the outreach at Midwest City Library! The teens will LOVE this!!!

TwigandToadstool said...

What a great idea!!! I have a group of little ones who would LOVE to create their own costumes!!
FUN!!!
So happy I came across your blog today!
xox maureen

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Thank you all! These were a blast!

kszwahl said...

I just wanted to tell you I really enjoy your site. I am adding it to my "links" list on my blog and posting about it on July 30th.
http://bartz-mrszwahl.blogspot.com/
Keep up the great work.
I'm just north of you in Kansas!

amyy said...

What a fun and gorgeous project!!!! You know you're amazing, don't you? :)

Snippety Gibbet said...

Oh my gosh! Those are so clever! jan

Lawn Care Gary said...

Appreciate yoour blog post