Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tick Tock!


Tick. Tock. Look, a clock! Children ages 3-5 joined me at the OKCMOA to create wonderful paper collage clocks inspired by George Nelson from the exhibition, George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher.

The exhibition includes many wonderful things but we concentrated on his clocks.

Photobucket

In the gallery we read a book, Hickory Dickory Dock by Keith Baker. Taking a closer look at the Nelson clocks we notice many shapes. I ask the children to look very closely and tell me if they think anything is missing from his clocks. Immediate answer, Numbers! Correct. The Nelson clocks do not have numbers. We tell time by hand position and that is something the clocks have in common. Hands. Many of the clocks have "spokes" radiating from a center shape, commonly a circle. (to better explain radiating, we talk about sunrays, spokes on a tire, etc.) These are all things we think about as we head back to the classroom.

Photobucket

Everyone starts with a 16x14 piece of tagboard. This is our background. Now the children get to choose a color for the back of their clock from a stack of 12x12 cardstock. From this piece they cut out a large shape of their choice. We glue it down.

Now everyone has colored scrap papers, a black circle, pre-cut white strips, scissors, glue sticks, crayons and a metal brad.

We can use the black circle for the center of our clock or use it as a template to cut a circle from one of our scrap pieces of paper.

We cut two clock hands from scrap and attach them to the center of our circles with our brad. On the backside of our circle we arrange our spokes, or white strips and glue them down. We can now glue this piece to the center of our clock.

Photobucket

From here we cut shapes to put at the end of our spokes.

Photobucket

We also use Crayola Construction Paper Crayons to color or add details if we want.

Bright, beautiful Nelson inspired clocks!

You will need:
-Black tagboard or cardstock
-Colored cardstock or construction paper
-Scissors
-Glue stick
-Metal Brad
-Crayons optional

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

8 comments:

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids said...

I love the way you have connected this to a artist. I remember seeing his clocks when I was very young. My grandmother had one very much like what is on his website. Thanks for a great idea!

cheryl golangco said...

Oh wow! These are just too cute! I never imagined how clock making could turn out to be so colorful and retro! I love the idea! Will definitely try this out next time! Thanks for sharing!

Barbara's Thought of the Day said...

I love, love, love these clocks, Erin! I've been "collecting" battery-operated clocks from free boxes at tag sales and saving them for their clockworks. I was thinking towards a clay clock lesson, but these collaged clocks are so cute, colorful, sculptural and do-able for kids. I'm so inspired and motivated by what you've done.
Barb

Heather @ Camp Slop said...

These are so cute! I've bookmarked it to try with my kids. What a beautiful art project and a great pairing with the stories you chose too.

Thanks for sharing!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

I just discovered your blog when a friend linked over to you. I'm a new follower. I'm hosting a Read Along for the month of March since it's Reading Month. If you wanted to do an art project that goes with a favorite children's book, I'd love to have you join in. You can find more details about what's involved here. http://helpinglittlehands.blogspot.com/2011/02/calling-all-book-lovers.html

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

Really Cute! I love that it is a workable clock! My daughter would love this!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

I looked at the artist and his work is so wonderful! I love the colors---so appealing to children!

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Kristi, thank you! Part of my job as a museum educator is to connect all of my class ideas to works from the permanent collection or from a visiting exhibition. How fun for you to have the nostalgic connection of your Grandmother!

Cheryl, Thanks for the comment! I had not done this with a class before and was pleasantly surprised they turned out so wonderful and different. Isn't it nice when things work out?! :)

Barb, wow, thanks for the comment! That means a lot to have inspired you to share it with others! When all other ideas fail I somehow always turn to collage. They great thing about it is that it can easily be tweaked for older or even younger kids!

SG, I do hope you will try them with your kids! Let me know if you do! I'd love to see them!

Polly, Thanks for stopping by! I am off to check it out right now! Thanks for sharing your link! :)

Melissa, thanks for the kind comment! If you make them I'd love to see your version!

Everyone-Each of your comments really mean a lot to me. Feedback is what keeps me pushing forward!

Erin