Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Winter Blues

Don't be blue! I think this is the perfect time to post this project I did with toddlers ages 15-36 months last week at the OKCMOA. I don't know about you my friends but we are snowed in! I am determined not to let cabin fever bring us down and hopefully this little project will chase the blues away for you and your toddler.

We discovered the color blue in the galleries, taking a closer look at painterly abstraction pieces as well as minimalist works by Anne Truitt.

In the classroom we got busy with blue!

Photobucket

Photobucket

We began by rolling dark blue on our papers with brayers. You can buy inexpensive foam rollers at your local craft store. I recommend having some on hand!

Then we used a big feather to add light metallic blue.

Photobucket

We finished with white. I put snowflake foam stickers on floral blocks to create our own stamps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

They turned out quite nice and would look great under a nice white mat and framed to hang in your home all winter long.

You will need:
-Student grade watercolor paper
-Brayers
-Tempera paints: Dark blue, light blue (metallic if you can find it) and white
-Feathers
-Foam stickers for stamping

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

Gilat said...

love blue and white, very pretty

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

I love the variety of tools used - great ways to introduce them.

I featured this post on this week's High Five! - Be sure to check it out!

http://handsonhouse.blogspot.com/2011/02/high-five-week-2.html

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Gilat, Thank you for stopping by and leaving the comment! I love to hear feedback! :)

Jamie, Thanks for the feature! I love your blog and I am honored to have you share this project! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I used a variation on this project with my Kindergartners yesterday, as we watched the blizzard-like snow falling outside the windows! I plan on having them add snowflakes and maybe a snowman next week (when temps are supposed to be in the 50's!). Thanks for such awesome project ideas!

Unknown said...

This is just wonderful! Thank-you so much for visiting my blog. I'm so glad you did because now I found your blog and it's fantastic. So many great ideas!