Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Art-Guitar Love

The front
Photobucket

and the back
Photobucket

What a busy time of year it has been. This may be the last post that consists of "my art". I hope to have paperwork completed this week for my new adventure (an LLC) the name of which I will reveal when finished! I'd like to keep my artwork separate from the teaching artist page that this has so lovingly become. I hope to have more of both to share with you all!

The latest project I just finished is the painted acoustic guitar for the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. Their incredible exhibit, The Guitar: Art, Artists, and Artisans is opening Feb. 13th. If you have a love of music or have any interest in the guitar, you really have to go see this. Here is a snippet from one of their press releases:

There is something about a cowboy and guitar that says "we belong together." Today they do, but that was not always the case. In spring 2010, the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum® offers a new exhibition showcasing the instrument.
"The Guitar: Art, Artists and Artisans" spotlights three aspects. “First, the guitar is a work of art itself, providing a canvas for artwork that enhances the instrument’s beauty. Secondly, there are musical artists who are identified with the guitar when they perform. Lastly, there are the artisans who create these beautiful instruments,” said Don Cusic, the exhibit’s guest curator, in an article written for the Museum’s Persimmon Hill magazine, Winter 2009.
Organized by the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, the exhibit opens February 12 and runs through May 9. There will be a “sweet” exhibition preview that is free to the public, February 13, 6 to 8 p.m. Whether attending solo, visiting as part of a group or treating your Valentine, enjoy extended hours and be among the first to see this colorful exhibit.
Included in the exhibition are approximately 50 guitars worth millions, from top entertainers — recording artists whose image and career is tied closely to this instrument. These notable artists include Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Toby Keith, Lynn Anderson, Brooks & Dunn, Eddy Arnold and Marty Robbins.

The 3 guitars that local OKC artists painted will be on hand for children to play and then GIVEN AWAY at the end of the show. You just have to attend the exhibit and stick your name in the raffle!

I was a bit nervous about this project. I have never painted a guitar! Sanding it was a feat in itself. Thrilled and honored to be asked, I could not turn down this amazing opportunity. Well, I finished her up and delivered her today. While I was there I got a "behind the scenes" tour that seriously blew my mind. All the things people never see at any Museum I got to peek at today. Pretty neat!

5 comments:

Sleepyhead Designs Studio said...

Wow! That's amazing! What kind of paint did you use on that? The events sounds like fun!

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Thanks so much! I am an acrylic painter. I use Liquitex Heavy Body paint. It's more expensive, but you can't deny the good coverage the paint puts out. To begin I sanded the finish off the guitar with an electric hand sander. Then I primed with gesso. Then I painted as usual and sealed it with a high gloss varnish.

:)Erin

Unknown said...

Love it, love it!

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Thanks Mom! I love you!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! THis is so awesome! It really does belong in a museam!!! :D xoxo