Saturday, May 28, 2011

Picasso Collage

Picasso. You are probably thinking of his paintings. He created many wonderful collage pieces as well. This was the subject matter I shared for Drop-in Art at the OKCMOA a few weeks ago.

First we looked at a few books and examples of Picasso's work.

Photobucket

Work stations were set up with scissors, glue sticks, newsprint and various papers. (I found really great musical note scrapbook paper at Michaels.)

Our works focused on Guitar.

We began by filling our background with paper and then cut a guitar from a larger piece of paper. We glued it on top and added yarn strings, charcoal and other details. Simple and a lot of fun! This project is great to combine with music!

Photobucket

Photobucket

You will need:
-White posterboard or heavy paper to be the background
-Scissors
-Glue sticks
-Yarn
-Charcoal optional
-Scrap papers
-Larger paper for guitar.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

11 comments:

Phyl said...

Oh, these are FABULOUS. I love it when a lesson is nice and simple and everyone can be successful. Terrific!

Nancie Kay said...

One of our retiring teachers just donated a big stack of scrapbook paper to me - I can't wait to try this project out! Thanks for sharing...

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

These are Great! What a Great project for Picasso and his guitars!

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

Great project in teaching students how to create interesting compositions.

Anne Farrell said...

These are great! I'm doing the same sort of project with my students at the moment and they are not looking so good :( Next time I'll take your lead and make everything more structured! Thanks for posting.

Rachel Motta said...

I am loving your lessons! Thanks for sharing your pictures and plans. I have you on my blog roll... would love it if you checked out mine and added me to your list. Thanks so much!
-Rachel

Pamela Holderman said...

Love this idea - turned out great. I will have to try it next year.

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

what a fun idea! love how different & lively they all came out! I will be trying this one.

Bernadette - new follower
http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com

MulticoloredPieces said...

I love your blog--I try to do art projects with my grandchildren and you've got so many great ideas. I'll show them your blog next time they visit. Just delightful!
best, nadia

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Wow, thank you all so very much for your kind words of encouragement. I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond. We have been in a whirlwind since my boys got out of school! The kids at the museum did an excellent job with the limited palette of colored papers I set out for them. It's one of those things that went great, but you guys all know that on a different day it might not have gone so well.

Phyl, Thank you! The kids were so into it. It was one of those things that I honestly was crossing my fingers over!

Nancie Kay, This is a perfect project for extra scrapbook paper. I can't wait to see! :)

Melissa, thank you!! :)

Anne, I know how that goes. I'm sure they didn't turn out all that bad! You just never know. I really limited them with the paper choices and was not sure how it would end up as I have not done this project before!

Rachel, How are you not added here!? I love your blog! I am putting you on my list right now! :)

Pamela, Thank you for your kind words!

Bernadette, I am so happy you found me. I am off to check out your blog right now! :)

Nadia, Thank you for stopping by and your kind words. Have fun with those grandchildren! :)

Anonymous said...

I just did a similar lesson for a fourth grade class and the kids told me themselves that they loved it!

Was great fun. Thank you for sharing. I knew I wanted to speak of Picasso and collage art, but had not decided the theme yet. The guitar idea was excellent and easy to tie to his work.