Friday, October 29, 2010

Grouting Mosaics

Photobucket

Grout, grout, grout. I was so tired of grouting that I didn't take any good close up shots. Plus my husband took my boys and my good camera camping so I am left with a few cruddy iPhone pics.

I was working on a big scale so I laid out a tarp and got busy. In a coolwhip container I mixed up my SANDED tile grout. I used white but you can buy a variety of colors. Follow directions but usually I just add water a mix a batch at a time until it is like frosting. Let it sit for a few minutes to activate.

Photobucket

I wear GLOVES. It is a dirty business and if you are doing a lot it dries your hands terribly.

Photobucket

So, smoosh grout all over your piece. It will cover but that is okay. You want it to get in all the nooks and crannys.

I have a big bucket filled with water. You DO NOT want to do this in your sink!!! I get my sponge wet and squeeze most of the water out. I rub the top of the piece to remove excess grout and the majority of grout off the pieces. A white film will remain. You can keep wiping but it will remain until it is dry and cleaned off with windex. This bucket is a dump bucket. NEVER DUMP DOWN DRAIN! I have a nasty spot in my backyard I dump in. The big bits of dried grout get thrown away when it dries. All of your tools need to be cleaned in that same bucket.

Photobucket

When everything is wiped clean, set to dry for about 4 hours. Then you can lightly rub with an old tshirt to remove haze and use tools to remove any other unwanted grout. Now wait 24 hours! Then hit the tiles, beads etc with windex that is sprayed on paper towels to add shine. DO NOT spray your mosaic! These instructions are meant for small indoor pieces. If you want outdoor pieces that is another ballgame. Enjoy!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Qasim Khan said...

This is extremely helpful info!! Very good work. Everything is very interesting to learn and easy to understand. Thank you for giving me the information. Do My Essay For Me Uk

Qasim Khan said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful post for the spring of watercolors. use in a different manners is really awesome. Wesley Snipes Vest