Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wire Sculpture Cars

I did an entire semester on wire in college. Back then I worked for weeks to create a wire hairdryer. This brought back a lot of memories for me. There are really so many things you can create simply by bending wire!

Using the Jonathan Hils exhibition at the OKCMOA as inspiration, children of all ages used wire and beads to create their own car creations.

Photobucket

First I had the children draw their template on paper. Then using a heavy gauge of steel wire (which is actually quite pliable with hands) they began to bend the steel to create the outline for their car.

Photobucket

Photobucket

At this point small gauge wire of different colors is woven and wrapped around to create a grid pattern. Beads were added for fun if the artist wanted to use them.

Photobucket

Here are a few of our creations:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

CAUTION: wire can be sharp. Also, be wary of where the end of your wire is.

You will need:
-heavy gauge steel wire
-decorative color wire
-beads
-wire cutters
-pliers can also be used

15 comments:

lilla a said...

Pretty cars! Nice to see how they filled out the contour.

andrea gardiner freeman said...

what an awesome project... i love sculptural projects for kids... three dimensional demands a different creating experience.

very cool

Unknown said...

Hello! I was thrilled to have stumbled upon your blog. I am an assistant director at a preschool in TX and will be presenting at a national conference (NAEYC) for early childhood educators on the subject of art and would like to use some of your photos in my slideshow presentation.

There is one from this post, and then a few from other posts. The ones I am interested in are -

http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp324/busterandbub/art/?action=view&current=IMG_0304.jpg

http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp324/busterandbub/art/?action=view&current=IMG_6937.jpg

http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp324/busterandbub/art/?action=view&current=IMG_5345.jpg

http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp324/busterandbub/art/?action=view&current=IMG_6960.jpg

If you could let me know if that is okay as soon as possible, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Theresa

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Theresa,

Thank you so much for the courtesy of asking to use the photos. With credit you have my full permission. I am glad you found my blog and hope you return! Good luck on your presentation. Thanks again!

Erin :)

Unknown said...

Growing up in Zimbabwe the local people would sell wire cars on the side of the road, the wheels would turn and there was a long wire handle to the steering wheel so you could walk with it and steer it,, the wheels moved with the steering,, they were amazing. I will try your little sculptors I know my boys would love it because they are always cutting car and truck shapes out of paper.

Unknown said...

I made a little wire car with my children and I wanted to post this link for you so you could see the cars the local people make in Zimbabwe, the ones my brother and I enjoyed playing with.

http://www.highlightskids.com/Science/Stories/SS1105_wireCars.asp

Japan used cars said...

Its extremely wonderful and nice "Wire Sculpture Cars".

Amiry Enterprises said...

Nice drawing. It is looking so beautiful.

mikel said...

Nice drawing.i really like your work for cars;
Used Mazda 2 Cars For Sale


Ana Ferral said...

Car removal logan is the best in the cash for cars removal services.

Ana Ferral said...

This is very amazing article.This article belongs to car removal near me article.

liam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
liam said...

Are you looking for a cash for car coast.Cash for cars sunshine coast is a professional car buyer service provider in the world.

liam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This blog really has all the info I was looking for. Thanks you for sharing. Cash for cars brisbane